I just love old game boards and pieces. Dominoes, Mah Jong, Scrabble tiles, and other game pieces have become extremely popular for art use. There are lots of old pieces to be had on etsy or other auction sites. Look at these wooden houses from an old "Monopoly" game.
There are also cool old game spinners already assembled that can be used in your art and assemblages.
Want to try an Altered spinner?
Free collage sheet (if desired) Download spinners3.jpg
Spinner pointer, heavy cardstock or thin plastic (note - if you puchase a spinner uou do not need the two beads. The spinner comes with gromments to assemble it.
papers, assemblage items, odd letters, and decorative materials, as desired
1. Use desired decorative materials to create wonderful design on the cardstock base. If you use the attached free collage sheet, cut out, glue to cardstock. I like to cover these with beeswax to give it a rich look.
2. Place the ring bead over the center of the spinner fields.
3. Place a pony bead on the ring bead. (Note: The pony bead will rest in the center of the ring bead, but not go into the ring bead hole all the way.)
4. Place the pointer over the pony bead so that it rests on the ring bead.
5. Secure the spinner assembly to the cardstock base with a brass brad. Push the brad through the bead holes, then through the cardstock base. Open the brad tabs under the base to secure spinner into position.
Click image for larger view.